Friday, April 27, 2012

Detective Comics #9 Variant

I had the honor of working on a variant cover to Detective Comics #9! Check it out:
http://www.maxim.com/comics/exclusive-preview-of-detective-comics-9






     The idea was simple enough.  Batman fights a bunch of Arkham inmates along with some Talons.  I originally was going to do something different with the cover, but decided to do a big action fight sequence instead.  This was the first time I got to draw some of the talons and I had a blast with these guys.  They are fun enemies to draw.  I penciled this first on DC board and then inked it digitally.  Colors were done by Peter Steigerwald.  I loved his use of reds on this cover!  All in all, I was very happy with the outcome and so honored to be able to draw a variant for Detective comics!

-JAY

(Penciled artwork is also for sale here as well as the original pencils for the BATMAN #8 variant here)

3 comments:

juliozor said...

Amazing, both inks and pencils.

Unknown said...

That's really awesome work. I read your other blog post where you said you have an upcoming unannounced project, I really hope it's in Gotham.

Cameron Durgin said...

Nice work. Looks fantastic.